Recipe from: https://www.mysweetcalifornialife.com/
- 6 Apples, peeled, cored, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 C Water or fruit juice such as cherry, cranberry, apple, or pomegranate
- 1 T Fresh lemon juice
- 1 T Agave nectar
- ½ t Ground cinnamon
- ½ t Vanilla extract
- ¼ C Toasted walnuts, or unsalted nuts of any kind, if desired
- Optional: ½ C Dried fruit, such as cherries, raisins, cranberries
- In a medium saucepan over med-high heat, add chopped apples, water and/or juice, agave nectar, cinnamon, and dried fruits, if using.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then, reduce heat to med-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally.
- After about 15 minutes, the apples will have softened, the dried fruit has plumped, and the water and/or fruit juice will have concentrated and been lightly absorbed by the apples.
- The texture should ultimately be tender but firm, taking into account later reheating.
- Serve warm as a dessert, or, over hot cereal or porridge for breakfast.
- Garnish with toasted walnuts and serve.