When I ask my clients and friends what their ultimate goal is, what they want most out of life, 9 times out of 10 they say they just want to FEEL GOOD and BE HAPPY. This is the biggest motivating factor behind the desire to lose weight and also the biggest downfall. We want to be skinny so we can look and feel good about ourselves but we also want to eat that ice cream sunday because it gives us pleasure and makes us feel good in the moment. After 30 years of working with clients in the health and wellness industry, I’ve come up with my ultimate FEEL GOOD checklist to help you focus on lasting happiness and pleasure and give you the strength to say no to temptations and temporary sources of pleasure and good feelings.
1. It starts with our bodies and what we put in them.
It is much easier to feel good emotionally when we feel great physically and in order to feel great physically, we need to feed our body healthy wholesome foods and eliminate toxins.
- Fill your body with WHOLE FOODS: Veggies, veggies, veggies! Healthy fats (nuts/seeds/avocado/coconut), Healthy protein sources (tofu, tempeh, beans, nuts, seeds, green veggies), Good carbs (fruits/whole grains/ whole wheat sprouted bread), healthy drinks (WATER!! tea, fresh cold pressed juices)
- Eliminate toxins: Say bye bye to processed foods, unhealthy fats (OILS!), animal flesh, dairy products, processed sugars, and toxic drinks (coffee and alcohol).
- Make sure you consume enough calories!! When you are eating FEEL GOOD Foods you do not need to worry about weight gain. I eat more calories now than I ever have and weigh less because I fill my body with nutritious wholesome plant-based foods. However, it’s hard to feel good when we are hungry. Make sure you eat enough.
2. Once you have started filling your body with the right foods and nutrients it is so much easier to add movement and exercise to your life.
This does not mean hitting the gym every day or going out for an hour run. When you focus on feeling good movement can and should include things that bring you joy:
- Go for a walk with a friend
- Go for a hike
- Take a bike ride
Including movement in your life can also mean changing daily habits:
- take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park your car at the far end of the parking lot
- walk or bike instead of drive
- buy a stand-up desk for work
3. How you think = How you feel.
When you think positive thoughts, you feel good. When you think negative thoughts, you feel bad. Here are some affirmations to repeat whenever you notice yourself thinking negative thoughts:
- I deserve to feel good
- I am worth it
- I am good enough as I am
4. Get in touch with your deeper self and the universe by incorporating a spiritual practice into your life.
This does not mean you need to start going to church on Sundays. Although getting closer to God through religion is a great way to incorporate a spiritual practice into your daily life, it is not the only way. Other ways include:
- Spending time in nature
- Deep Breathing
5. Having positive relationships with others significantly increases our ability to FEEL GOOD.
It is very important to connect with other positive and like-minded people. We are social creatures and we need other people in our lives to be happy.
I hope this list inspires you and helps you realize that not only is FEELING GOOD every day possible for you but that you DESERVE it!