The Holidays are here! And what an exciting and sometimes stressful and anxiety-filled time they can be. And with so many work parties, friend parties, and family gatherings going on during this time of year, sometimes the stress and anxiety can lead to overeating. This year, try out my top 6 tips to help you avoid overeating and weight-gain during the holidays.
1. Drink water and do not overdo it on the alcohol. Sometimes we just need something that we can use to hold in our hands and sip with our mouths. Water is the perfect solution. Sipping water throughout the party will also help you avoid consuming too much alcohol which can also lead to overeating and bingeing.
2. Skip the appetizers and instead focus on having meaningful conversations with other guests. Not sure what to talk about? Here are some open ended questions you can ask:
-compliment them on something (their eyes, hair, jewelry, or what they are wearing) and then ask them to tell you about it
– Ask them if they have been to any great restaurants recently or if they have tried cooking any great new recipes.
– Do they have any fun vacations planned or in the process of being planned? If they say no ask them where they would they go if they could go anywhere?
-Have they read any good books lately?
3. Do a quick meditation at the table before you eat. Focus on your breath and think about your intentions. What do you want to get out of this meal? How do you want to feel? What do you want to think? How hungry are you? Then with every bite say to yourself “this is exactly what my body needs” and really savor the taste of each bite. Before each bite check in with your body and how you are feeling. Take it slow and don’t rush.
4. Put down your fork after each bite and engage in or listen to the conversation going on around you. Do not eat and talk at the same time.
5. Be picky, only choose and eat things that you truly will enjoy. Parties are not a place to choose health over taste. Instead focus on enjoying your favorites in small quantities.
6. Drink Hot Tea. If your tempted to keep eating even though you know you are full and do not need to eat anymore, ask your host or make yourself some hot soothing tea and drink that instead.
I hope this helps and please leave a comment below with any tips or tricks that help you avoid overeating during the holidays!