The best healthy vegan black bean burgers are gluten free, packed with veggies and filled with plenty of spices. This is the ultimate vegan black bean burger recipe that’s easy to make, holds together well and is incredibly delicious! Top with avocado, onion, tomato and a super addicting garlic tahini sauce.
For the burger:
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 -1/3 cup oat flour, gluten free if desired
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Garlic Tahini Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water, to thin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For serving (optional and not included in nutrition):
- 4 sprouted/whole grain or gluten free buns
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Slices of red onion
- Tomato slices
- Mix flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and place in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Place a large pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add in onion, garlic and carrot; saute for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and carrots begin to soften a bit.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the spices: cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Using a food processor or high powered blender, blend black beans until well blended and just a few bean chunks remain.
- Transfer to the bowl with the veggies and then stir in the flax egg and the oat flour. Taste, adjust seasonings and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Divide mixture into 4 patties. Put on a plate and cover with plastic wrap, place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- While the burgers are in the fridge firming up, make the garlic tahini sauce by mixing together the following in a small bowl: tahini, garlic, lemon juice, water and salt.
- After 30 minutes, place a large skillet pan over medium heat and generously spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the patties and cook 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and heated through.
- Place on buns with tomato, avocado, red onion and tahini sauce. Serve with sweet potato fries or a salad. Makes 4 burgers.