Recipe courtes of “Caera’s Kitchen Eat Happy Live Happy”, http://www.cearaskitchen.com/vegan-mushroom-barley-soup/
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, stem removed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, stem removed
- 2 tsp herbes de Provence
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- 1 vegetable bouillon
- 4 cups white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 3 portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan worcestershire
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1½ cups barley
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onions, leeks, and garlic with a splash of water until soft. Add rosemary, thyme, herbes de Provence, onion powder, and bouillon to the pot. Saute, adding a splash of water when necessary.
- Add mushrooms, carrots and saute until the mixture has reduced considerably (the mushrooms to about half their size).
- Add the vegan worcestershire, water, barley, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes until the carrots are soft and the barley is cooked. Add additional salt, pepper, herbes, and onion powder to taste. Add extra water/broth at the end of cooking if desired. The barley will soak up some of the broth so if you are enjoying this soup the next day you will need to add a bit more water to it when warming it up.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Follow the above directions. Saute the vegetables as stated above using the saute function on the Instant Pot (8 – 10 minutes).
- Add the water, barley, and bay leaf to the pot. Cover and cook using the “soup” function for 7 minutes.
- Use the “quick release” when the soup is ready. Follow the rest of the instructions above.
Slow cooker instructions
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cook on medium for 8 hours. Follow the rest of the directions above.
1) Use quinoa instead of barley for this recipe to be gluten free. Barley is not gluten free.