These sunshine muffins have carrots, dry or fresh turmeric, fresh ginger and chia seeds. Coconut rounds up the flavor for a caramelized carrot ginger turmeric profile along with cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg. Add nuts to these Turmeric muffins. No added sugar or oil needed. Vegan Soyfree Nut-free Recipe. Gluten-free option.
- 1 1/2 cup (187.5 g) flour (I use 1 cup Spelt/whole wheat + 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour) see gluten-free option in the notes
- 2 to 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1 tsp spice such as a combination of cardamom cinnamon nutmeg to preference
- 3 to 4 tbsp chopped dates currants, raisins or other dried fruit
- 1 cup (128 g) chopped carrots (heaped) or 1 packed up grated
- 1/3 cup (107.33 g) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (20 g) shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp oil optional
- 1/2 to 1 tsp turmeric or use 1/2 inch knob or peeled fresh turmeric
- 1/2 in (0.5 in) peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar for sweeter optional
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (183 ml) + 1/4 cup non dairy milk such as almond light coconut or soy
chia seeds and coconut for topping
- In a bowl mix the dry ingredients. Fold in dates, currants or other dried fruit. Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F / 180ºc. Line a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a blender combine all wet ingredients carrots through lemon juice, with 1/2 cup non dairy milk. Blend until carrots are blended but have some texture. Transfer to the dry ingredient bowl. Use 1/4 cup non dairy milk to rinse the blender out and add to the bowl. (Alternatively, mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl until sugar is combined. You will need grated carrots if not using a blender. Add 3 tbsp applesauce with the wet for additional moisture to compensate for the moisture that releases on blending the carrots)
- Mix the wet and dry until just about combined. If too runny, add a few tbsp more flour. Drop the batter into muffin pan. Garnish with chia seeds and coconut.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve. Cool completely before storing(on the counter for the day, in the refrigerator for upto 5 days).